The Brow Brigade


We've all been there, haven't we? Sat in front of the mirror, overworked tweezers in hand, wondering if the "brows should be sisters, not twins" mantra is really going to cut it this time... 

The brow game is hard out there for a girl with asian brows (thanks, mom). And by asian brows I mean anything labeled "brunette" or "dark brown" comes off too red-toned or bright. After some research I discovered the trick to matching such brows is to use a gray-toned product. My first venture into brow-dom involved a very heavy hand and the NYX Auto Brow Pencil in Charcoal. Not the greatest start, but now that I'm onto my second stick of this stuff I've learned that less is more and blurring with the brush is crucial. The thicker tip makes working through my brows a breeze, and while perhaps not the most natural look ever, light strokes and some blending out make for a socially acceptable, slightly undone but filled-in look. 

More recently I've been suckered into purchasing (read: was desperate to try) the Anastasia Brow Wiz in Granite after oh so conveniently misplacing my NYX brow pencil while moving house. The fine tip and waxier formula make this much more precise, resulting in more defined brows compared when I use the NYX pencil. It takes a little more work to get a nice shape, but the ends of my brows definitely look better when I take the time to fill them in using this.

Since I've been trying to grow my brows back out I've also been needing a little more help setting those buggers in place, so I picked up the L'Oreal Brow Stylist Plumper Brow Gel Mascara in Transparent last week (again, the brunette shade was definitely too brown). While I don't see a massive difference in the brow plumpness as the name might suggest, it does a fine job wielding those pesky stray hairs in until the end of the day.

The more I mess around with brow products, the more intrigued I get. Next on my list of to-try products are the Anastasia Dip Brow Pomade and Hourglass Eyebrow Pencil. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with it? I'm hoping that one day my eyebrows will look as good as Suzie from Hello-October's. We can all dream, right?



Products mentioned:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Salt & Sail
Maira Gall